Saturday, July 30, 2011

Death by Pretzels: Success and Failure

First, a success.  In case you were wondering, holding your breath, worried sick about my poor, hail-damaged garden cover, it has been remade, with slightly shoddier plastic, but still good enough to keep the frost and the chickens out.  It's amazing what you can accomplish during naptime!

I am starting to fear that this greenhouse cover will require ongoing plastic-replacement.  I am not really okay with having a "disposable" greenhouse cover, but the budget right now does not have room for a more permanent structure.  We shall see if this cover makes it through the winter.

Next, a failure.  Some very kind friends had a family reunion nearby, which ended Monday.  They lovingly brought all their leftovers over to our house, since they didn't want to transport them all the way home.  Great!

Or not so great... when the leftovers include a quarter sheet cake and a full bag of pretzels.  This could have been fine...I could have hidden/given away the less-nutritious items and let my kids enjoy the cheese and corn salsa.  But I was tired from spending my naptimes fixing the garden cover, and my resistance was weakened.

Einstein gorged on pretzels for every snack for 2 days in a row.  His poor little system didn't know how to handle such a white-flour overload, and he had itchy knees and elbows (an ezcema warning sign for us), grumpiness, tummy aches, and fatigue until I came to my senses and hid the pretzels.  Now we are back to more wholesome snacks, and all feeling a lot better.  It was a good reminder for me, though, of why I take extra trouble to feed the kids real food instead of "easy" food.

What have been the big successes and failures of your week?  Do you ever have days when you're wiped out and tempted to take the lazy way with your eating habits?  What do you do?


Posted at Show and Tell Saturday and Check Me Out Saturday

2 comments:

  1. I made a greenhouse out of cattle panels and T-posts and used cheap plastic for a year or so but I got tired of replacing the plastic every 4 or 5 months and it gettin hard and breaking into pieces all over the place and finally broke down and bought greenhouse plastic and it was sure worth it. It lasts 4 or 5 years instead of months. Doesnt get hard and break up. You may want to check into it and sve for ome, think you will be glad you did.
    debbieo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Debbie O,
    Thank you for the tip! I will definitely look into that!

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day brighter! Please leave a comment to tell me what you loved and/or hated about this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...