Thursday, February 3, 2011

Homemade Freezer Chicken Nuggets

I spent the kids' nap time yesterday making some home-made chicken nuggets to keep in the freezer and bake up for quick lunches.  Of course, they were inspired by the Tyson standbys in the freezer section, but instead of $5.00/lb, mine cost me about $1.99/lb (I splurged on boneless chicken thighs, which were on sale.  I still stink at de-boning the little suckers!).  It's a pretty good savings for an hour of work.  Note: if you make these with no young children clinging to you, it will probably go much faster!

I just can't help myself - it is such a rush to see how much I can save by making things myself!

And it's so easy:
  1. Cut chicken into nugget-sized pieces.
  2. Dunk each piece in whisked egg.
  3. Dredge in flour mixture (mine was flour, salt, a little baking powder, garlic, and paprika).
  4. Bake until juices run clear (I did mine at 350F for 20 minutes, flipping 'em half way through.
Besides the savings, these are SO much tastier than their processed cousins due to using thigh meat instead of breast.  It gives them a little more fat too, which I'm in favor of.  Mine turned out a little less-crispy than their freezer counterparts, but still delicious.  The most important thing, in my book: the kids gobbled them up!

This post was inspired by Simple Lives Thursday at Sustainable Eats and Fresh, Clean, and Pure Friday at La Bella Vita

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments makes my day brighter! Please leave a comment to tell me what you loved and/or hated about this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...