Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Refried Beans, the (slightly) Lazy Way

Along with waaaay too much other food, I made some homemade refried beans to put in a 7-layer dip for our family's Super Bowl festivities.  I'm just not sure about eating anything with the word "fried" in it that comes from a can, so it was worth a little mashing to make our own!  I may have gotten a little carried away with the fat during the frying phase.  :)  Also, in spite of the "homemade" label, I actually used canned pinto beans because we had company all weekend, and I didn't feel like hovering over a pot of beans the whole time.  They are just as delicious using dried beans, though.

Ingredients:
2 14 oz. cans (or equivalent) undrained pinto beans (or really any other beans.  I like black beans too for this)
2-3 Tbsp. butter or fat of choice (I used a combo of butter and a little rendered bacon fat that has been lurking in the back of the fridge
1 tsp garlic powder (or several cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped)
1 tsp onion powder (or about 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh onion)
1/2 tsp cumin (optional, this is just my preference)
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Directions:
Mash beans well.


Heat fat in large skillet.  Add beans and remaining ingredients.  Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until beans reach desired consistency.

Enjoy delicious beans!!


Posted as part of "Tuesday Twister" at GNOWFLINS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments makes my day brighter! Please leave a comment to tell me what you loved and/or hated about this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...