Saturday, March 26, 2011

Earth Hour? How About Earth Life?

So, this is the big news for Saturday, March 26th: we're all supposed to turn out all non-necessary light from 8pm to 9pm (our local time).  This is an effort to raise awareness for global warming.

Now, I'm not necessarily all about the anti-global-warming agenda.  For example, "Save the Polar Bears" doesn't strike me as a convincing rallying cry when from all I've read, polar bears are actually increasing in number in the arctic.  But what do I know?

Anyway... thousands of people consciously consuming less electricity is a good thing.  A very good thing!  Perhaps "turning off the lights you're not using" is kind of a low goal... um, aren't you supposed to do this all the time anyway?  But a worldwide effort like this is admirable, simply because it gets people thinking about how their little, everyday choices add up when combined with those of 6 billion other earthlings.

Still, I think we can try to incorporate sustainable choices into our lives for more than one hour a night.  Let's try to celebrate Earth Life, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments makes my day brighter! Please leave a comment to tell me what you loved and/or hated about this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...