Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rolling in the Veggies

Okay, that title may sound like I'm having some kind of amazing early harvest in the garden right now.  Not so.  The garden is still mostly unplanted (and currently covered in snow).

I mean Veggie Tales.

We only own one Veggie Tales DVD, and it played twice yesterday.  The whole thing.  It is an hour and a half long.  And I don't even feel guilty.  Okay, maybe just a little bit.

The kids and I came down with bad colds on Tuesday, and yesterday, the only way I felt even remotely human was if I was laying on the couch with my eyes closed and a blanket on.  This might be the most startling thing about parenting that you never really think about ahead of time: you can't take a sick day!

We usually have some fairly strict guidelines about how much TV the kids can watch during the day (yes, I know, Miss Euler technically shouldn't be watching any, since she's under 2...it's hard to keep an 18 month old kid out of the living room while brother watches Little Einsteins).  But yesterday, after watching them get bored, get out every toy we own and put it in the middle of the living room floor, and then start in on the diaper basket, the puzzles, and my desk, I gave in.  My throat hurt too much to read any more stories.  We resorted to the dreaded one-eyed babysitter.

On the bright side, I am so sick of Bob the Tomato and anything else cutsey and animated that I am waaaay motivated to play outside all day, everyday, all summer.

Oh, and in reference to the veggie title, this cold is acting a little differently than in the past.  Ever since I realized it was not just a sniffle, I have been very carefully avoiding grains and sugar (and most fruit, too).  We've been having lots of chicken soup, eggs, vegetables, and  yogurt.  Also, instead of heading straight for the Tylenol at the first sign of fever, I decided to wait it out and see if I could let it run its course naturally.  The cold is still lingering, but it seems to be winding down more quickly than normal.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments makes my day brighter! Please leave a comment to tell me what you loved and/or hated about this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...