Monday, September 26, 2011

World's Worst-Sounding Dessert

Prune Crisp.



Ewww.  That might be the worst name for a dessert ever.  The "prune" part sounds like something a little too dried and wrinkly that people looking for a fiber boost might enjoy.  The "crisp" part doesn't help.

But let me assure you, it's delicious.  And it has very few healthful or redeeming qualities.  But we had company a few days ago, and my dinner plan was a little lacking.  A dessert seemed necessary.  I had a bunch of "plums" from our tree in the garden that were left over from my first canning project, so a little sugar, flour, butter, and oatmeal was all that was required for a delicious and simple "plum crisp."

When our dinner guest tried the dessert, he started asking leading questions about the kind of fruit that was in it, and we eventually came to realize that we don't actually have a plum tree after all, but a prune tree.  I had always thought that prunes were just any kind of dried plums, but apparently certain varieties exist that are actually called "prunes," even when they are not dried.  So my lovely canned "plums" and "plum crisp" were misnamed.  "Canned prunes" just don't have quite the same ring to them.

Anywho, here is the totally unhealthy, but totally delicious prune crisp we enjoyed:

Prune Crisp

Fruit Layer:
5 cups plums or undried prunes, quartered
1 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Crisp Layer:
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. oats
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter

Combine first 4 ingredients and spread in 9x11 baking dish.  In small bowl, combine crisp layer ingredients.  Sprinkle crisp layer mixture over fruit mixture.  Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until crispy and lightly browned.

I didn't have the presence of mind as I was making this the first time to make any healthful improvements, but if I were to make it again, I would probably switch out the sugar for honey in the fruit mixture, and perhaps the flour for arrowroot powder to thicken.  In the crisp portion, sucanat would substitute well for brown sugar.  I'm not exactly sure what could be used in place of flour to make a crisp - maybe sprouted wheat flour?  I suppose the flour just holds everything together, and it doesn't have to rise, or even contain gluten, so perhaps any flour would work.  Any ideas?

Posted at Melt in Your Mouth Monday Market Yourself Monday, Homemaker Monday, and Sharing Monday

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good to me! I even like prunes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy! I like them too, it just sounds a little funny in a dessert name. :)

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day brighter! Please leave a comment to tell me what you loved and/or hated about this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...