Friday, August 10, 2012

How to Start Making Kombucha

Step 1: Make friends with teenage staff member whose mom cooks real food.
Step 2: Mention that we like real food too.
Step 3: Gasp when said "Healthy Mom" picks her son up for the weekend, and she suddenly presents me with an extra kombucha Scoby.
Step 4: Decide not to kill Scoby.
Step 5: Rationalize that if "Healthy Mom" can keep kombucha alive along with her 7 kids, I can probably manage it with just 3.
Step 6: Start brewing.

That's why we now have a gallon jar of kombucha on the kitchen counter.  I will admit, I was afraid of kombucha.  But it turns out, it's super easy, even easier than the water kefir I used to make (until I killed it when we moved to Oregon).


So, here's how easy it really is to make kombucha:

  1. Boil 3 quarts of water, then add 1 cup of sugar to the hot water.  Stir until the sugar is dissolved.  
  2. Add 4 teabags, and let steep.  
  3. Let sugar/tea mixture cool to room temperature (you can just leave the tea bags in until everything is cooled)
  4. Pour sugar/tea mixture into gallon jar, add 2 cups of kombucha from a previous batch, and plunk the old scoby into the jar.
  5. Cover with towel, secure with rubber band, and ignore for a week!  That's my favorite part...
These instructions assume you've gotten a scoby from someone else, along with a little bit of kombucha to add to your first batch.  If you aren't fortunate enough to have a scoby foisted upon you by a friend, you can also order a dehydrated one online from Cultures for Health or a plethora of other online vendors.

Posted at Monday Mania and Fat Tuesday


2 comments:

  1. Yah! I recently got started with kombucha from an amazing couchsurfing couple that was moving across the country. I agreed to host them and their cat and they left me with a fabulous SCOBY. Such a great exchange if I do say so. It's been fun, super tasty, and I'm working on the whole 2nd ferment, carbonated kombucha. Still haven't quite figured that out, but's it such a fun and easy experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a pretty great exchange. :) It's so fun hearing about our parallel adventures and discoveries! We haven't tried the 2nd ferment yet, but we're really enjoying it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day brighter! Please leave a comment to tell me what you loved and/or hated about this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...