Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Elusive Ice Cream Without an Ice Cream Maker

I learned something new today, and on a cream-and-honey induced high, I want to share it with you.

Without pictures.

Because mine looked really bad, but tasted really good.

If you want to see pictures of this amazing Blackberry Terrine, visit the original at Things My Belly Likes.

I have to admit, I was skeptical that a dessert found on the Food Renegade blog could be this spectacularly non-healthy-tasting (and well-received by my family).  But it was.

Anyway, here's the new thing I learned today: a Terrine (which in this case was basically frozen whipped cream and whipped egg yolks), is part of a genre of French cuisine called Forcemeat.  Which is meat (or something else delicious)...forced into a dish.  Sounds pretty horrible, and honestly, the Wikipedia picture of Forcemeat looks rather frightening.

But I am delighted to learn that there is an actual genre for meat squashed into a pan.  Apparently, pate, which I hope will be my next adventurous culinary creation, is in the Forcemeat category.

My brain loves categorizing things, so just in case yours does too, you can tuck pates and delicious blackberry-flavored machine-less ice creams into the same category.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments makes my day brighter! Please leave a comment to tell me what you loved and/or hated about this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...